Friday, November 16, 2012

Kraken Apples

Bear with me folks.  I may cook a mean meal., but a photographer I am not.  After the new year, I plan on taking some classes.  These pictures may not look fantastic, and after being cooked the apples do look kind of like tomatoes, but it's pretty damn good and it may even give you a nice holiday buzz.  It pairs perfectly with a scoop of vanilla non-dairy ice cream.  =)

I use Kraken because of its unique flavor.  It has a taste that doesn't compare to other rums.  It screams 'fall' and is the perfect rum for this time of year.  Add it to your eggnog, apple cider or a splash in a holiday Sangria.

I was going crock-pot happy (more recipes to come!) and wanted to make something that screamed Fall/Winter without an overdose of evergreen being shoved down my throat.  Since I am quite the fan of any dessert made with liquor, and since Kraken rum is one of the perfect holiday liquors, I opened my fridge, grabbed some apples and got to work.

**Warning: This dessert is for 21+ only!!



First, you want to core the apples.  I used a paring knife since I don't have one of those fancy gadgets.  It probably took less time.  Make sure to get the whole core and seeds out.


Then I mixed up some shit.  Walnuts, cinnamon, brown sugar.  I wanted to add raisins but I didn't have any on hand.  But if you do, do it.  ;)


Put the apples in your crock-pot and then you get to packin'.  Hard, huh?  Use a small measuring spoon to shove it into the cores.


Then use your clean finger, because dirty fingers are just gross, and pack it in tighter.  Then shove more in until the filling is peaking out of the top.


Pour the Kraken and water or cider over the apples.


There it is.  My piss poor photo.  Turn crock-pot on low and let it sit there for several hours.  (Insert Jeopardy music here)


My even worse photo.  This is the finished product.  Looks like tomatoes stuffed with cat turds but I swear it smelled like a little piece of heaven floating in rum and tasted better than that.



There you have it.  My seriously lacking photography skills and a fabulous recipe that will fill your belly and get you drunk at the same time.



Kraken Apples

5-6 small Gala Apples, cored
1/2 cup walnuts, shelled
3 Tbsp brown sugar
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup Kraken rum
1/4 cup water or apple cider

This recipe makes enough for 6 small gala apples but my crock-pot only fit 5.  So 5-6 is fine.  Core apples.  

Put walnuts, brown sugar, cinnamon & vanilla in food processor.  Pulse a few times until coarsely ground.  

Place apples in crock-pot   Use a spoon to spoon walnut mixture into apple cores.  Press down firmly using your finger to pack it in, and fill some more.
Pour the Kraken rum & water or cider into the crock-pot and set on LOW for about 8 hours.

0 comments:

Post a Comment