Friday, May 24, 2013

Copycat Starbucks Frappuccino (Shhhh....it's Sugar-Free!)

Tired of spending five freaking dollars for a damn frozen coffee?  But can't seem to perfect it at home?  I've been there.  The ice dilutes the coffee, the coffee doesn't taste right, the ratios are all wrong....yada yada yada.  I started drinking Starbucks years ago almost daily.  When I changed my diet, I was thrilled when they started making dairy-free frappuccinos.  I would drink the caramel ones until I realized the caramel drizzle (despite what one uninformed barista told me) was dairy based.  So, I started getting the cafe vanilla.  Well, that's made with syrup.  Guess what? That syrup?  Artificial crap.  So, I got a regular.  Then I found out each tall sized frappuccino has freaking 3 TABLESPOONS of SUGAR!!  Holy crap!  Wait....let me say that again....THREE FREAKING TABLESPOONS OF SUGAR!  Humor me....go get your sugar out.  Now measure three tablespoons onto a plate.  Yep...that's what you consume when you drink a single mother-lovin frappuccino.  Ugghh...  Instead, use stevia extract.  I'm not a fan of the powdered crap.  The powdered stevia has a funny taste to me.  Go buy this stuff now if you don't have it.  Either go to your local health food store or buy it here.  It's fricking amazing.  It's not cheap, but a little goes a LONG way.  So, really....that little bottle will last a LONG time!

I limit sugar in my diet and even when I do use it, it's organic sugar.  Starbucks surely isn't using that.  So, how could I make a similar frozen coffee that wasn't loaded with sugar, artificial cancer causing bullshit and didn't get watered down when I blended it?  It took a little while, but after my sister got me my mini espresso maker, I have finally made something that satisfies the occasional craving for a frozen treat.

Go buy yourself one of these high-tech el-cheapo espresso contraptions and make you one!  For a single or double shot, this little thing is amazing.  I always thought I needed some big expensive machine that took up valuable real estate on my kitchen counter to make a stupid shot of espresso.  Not true!  This handy little gadget is easy, quick and awesome.  

If you are not familiar with this thing, let me give you the quick run-through.  This picture is terrible and was taken with my phone, but bear with me.  OK.....so it unscrews into 3 parts.  The part on the far left you fill with water.  Then you put the middle part in and pour in your ground espresso (which is just finely ground coffee.  Go to your local grocer and in the coffee aisle they usually have a coffee grinder that you can set to 'espresso').  Screw on the top part with the handle and sit it on the stove on medium-high heat until you hear it starting to bubble out a little.  Thats it.  Turn off heat and you're done!

The water steams up through the grounds and ends up as espresso in the top of your handy little thingamabob.

Sugar-Free Cafe Vanilla Frappuccino

1/2 c espresso, fresh and then cooled to room temperature
1/2 c non-dairy vanilla creamer (or use another flavor!  Regular?  Hazelnut? Whatever strikes your fancy!)
3/4 c ice
4 drops liquid stevia extract
1/4 tsp pure vanilla extract (optional)

Blend and you are done!  You can top with a non-dairy whip cream and a caramel drizzle if you want to make it even more unhealthy, lol.  (But sooooo good!!)  See recipe below.



Caramel Drizzle Syrup
The caramel sauce recipe is perfect as a coffee or ice cream topping!  Considering this is far from healthy due to the high sugar content, just use the damn vegan butter too.  Don't eat a lot of this at once!

2 Tbsp vegan butter (optional)
1 c organic brown sugar
1/2 c non-dairy creamer
1 tsp pure vanilla extract

Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat.  Do not scorch.  When butter is melted, add the brown sugar and non-dairy creamer.  Whisk slowly for 5 minutes.  If mixture starts to bubble too much, turn heat to medium-low.  Sugar gets HOT when heated, so don't let it bubble up and splash you!  After 5 minutes, add the vanilla and stir to incorporate.  Remove from heat.  Mixture will thicken as it sits.  Pour into a re-purposed plastic squeeze bottle when cool and keep in the fridge.


6 comments:

  1. On foodgawker your recipie is being called vegan. I'm not sure if those are your words to describe it or their words. In any case it's not a vegan recipie and techinically not dairy free. Non-dairy creamer contains milk proteins. While it doesn't contain lactose it still contains milk product. Sodium caseinate is the milk protein found in the creamers. So most vegans and Jewish dietery authorities classify it as a milk product. But regardless of all the fine print the recipie is a great idea and I really think I need to get one of those espresso makers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The creamer you are referring to is the same thing most people call 'non-dairy' creamer. When I use 'Non-Dairy' in my recipes, I am referring to true non-dairy ingredients. There are several options for dairy-free creamer out there that do not contain lactose or casein. Thanks for pointing that out for those who don't know the difference yet. =)

      Delete
  2. Thank you for a great recipe!!!
    Vegan, not vegan, milk proteins, whatever! It is a great alternative and people can alter the recipe to suit themselves and their own dietary needs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post, this is informative and well made.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have you been suffering from (HPV) disease for 3 years and had constant pain, especially in my body. During the first year,I had faith in God that i would be healed someday.This disease started circulate all over my body and i have been taking treatment from my doctor, few weeks ago i came on searching on the internet if i could get any information concerning the prevention of this disease virus, on my search i saw a testimony of someone who has been healed from (Herpes virus and Cancer) by this Man Dr DADA and she also gave the email address of this man and advise we should contact him for any disease sickness of any virus that he would be of help, so i wrote to Dr DADA telling him about my HIV/AIDS he told me not to worry that i was going to be cured!! hmm i never believed it,, well after all the procedures and remedy give to me by this man few weeks later i started experiencing changes all over me as Dr DADA assured me that i have been cured,after some days i went to my doctor to confirmed if i have be finally healed behold it was true, So friends my advise is if you have such sickness disease,or any virus you can email: drdadaspellhome@gmail.com. Thank you Dr DADA,you can contact him through his whatsapp number +2348139284741

    HERPES GENITAL WARTS
    HSV 1 & HSV 2
    ASTHMA
    DIABETES
    EPILEPSY
    CANCER
    INFERTILITY
    STAPHYLOCOCCUS.
    BARENESS
    HIV /AIDS
    HEPATITIS B
    Kidney?
    HPV
    ALS
    HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE

    for more infrom you can contact me on my email johnharry4750@gmail.com thank you all

    ReplyDelete
  5. Am so happy to share this testimony with everyone about how i got my herpes cured from Dr. Lawson the godfather of herbal medicine. I had been going from one country to another for medication for 3 years just to be cured from herpes but all seems in vain, i was confused and decided to search through the Internet if i could get any news concerning herpes so i do keep searching until i visited one particular site and i saw the great testimonies from different persons testifying how Dr. Lawson has cure them from herpes and other diseases and i was shock and was thinking if this is real, after a due consideration i decided to contact him with the email address I found in the posted just to give it a trial and when i contacted him he proved to me that his herbal medicine can cure me if only i believe in him, so i requested for his herbal medicine and i got it and i applied it as prescribed and after 2weeks of application i went for a test and to my greatest shock the herpes virus has disappeared and it was just like a dream. Today I am cured from herpes am so happy and thanking God for using Dr. Lawson to cure me. so if you are out there and you are suffering for herpes or any kind of illness kindly contact Dr. Lawson through, he will help you to cure that illness. you can get in touch with him via: his email address. Dr.lawsonherbalhome@gmail.com or call/whatsapp him on this number +2348154635774. Here's also his IG link @dr_lawson9 and also here's his website https://drlawsonherbalhome.weebly.com and here's Facebook link https://www.facebook.com/102501711439600/photos/a.102643891425382/165690411787396/?type=3 contact him so that you can be alive testimony same as me, God bless .....

    ReplyDelete