Friday, February 1, 2013

Pan Fried Seasoned Tofu in a Portobella Rosemary Sauce

While I have been making some insanely delicious food lately, I've also been forgetting to write down the recipes.  That, combined with chasing a 16 month old around the house, taking my tests for my Holistic Nutrition certification and now taking photography classes to improve my piss poor picture taking skills, I have had little time to blog, keep up with my facebook page or assemble weekly meal plans, which is something I plan on doing this year after I decide if it will be all vegetarian or not.

Anyhow, I digress....

So...I'm walking my daughter home from school and I start craving something covered and smothered in gravy.  I could almost literally taste the gravy in my mouth while craving it and trying to figure out how to perfectly create this dream gravy without f*cking it up 18 times before I got it right, which could only lead to complete taste bud frustration.  I wanted mushrooms.  I wanted creamy.  I wanted rosemary.  I wanted a delicious savory gravy, the kind that a high end restaurant might serve on a dead bird....errr....i mean a deliciously seasoned pan fried chicken boob....errr, i mean breast.

So, I had ideas for the gravy/...then what to put it on?  Seitan?  Too chewy.  Tempeh?  Too dense.  Tofu?  Done!  But first, to make the tofu nice and crispy...

First, I threw sweetened rice flake cereal (its what I had!) in my blender with poultry seasoning, garlic powder, salt and pepper.  Easy enough.
Next, since I would like for the crumb mixture above to stick to the  tofu, I coated it with vegenaise.

Coat all 3 exposed sides, lay it coated-side down in the plate and then spread the last side. 

All ready!

I love my cast iron skillet! Perfectly browned!

Don't forget the ends!  ;)

Now for the gravy....pulse baby bellas in a food processor a few times so it looks like this.

Mmmm....rosemary!

After sauteing garlic, shallots and mushrooms, time to add a thickener so we can add the liquid.

Voila!  The finished product.  This would be fantastic with a side of roasted truffled cauliflower.  (recipe coming!)

Seasoned Pan Fried Tofu in a Creamy Portobello Rosemary Sauce

Tofu
2 cups cereal, similar to corn flakes.  I used Arrowhead Mills GF sweetened rice flakes
2 tsp poultry seasoning
1/4 tsp garlic powder
dash salt
dash pepper
1lb (roughly) extra firm tofu, drained and pressed
1/4 cup Vegenaise
2 Tbsp Canola oil, or other high heat cooking oil

In a blender, blend first 5 ingredients to form a 'meal'.  Pour into a shallow dish.
Cut tofu into desired shapes.  I chose to cut mine into 2 large rectangles.  Likewise, you could cut into slabs. Spread vegenaise on each exposed side of tofu.  Turn tofu into crumb mixture and coat the bare side with vegenaise.  Use your fingers to place the 'crust' onto the tofu, making sure its good and covered.

Heat 1 Tbsp Oil in skillet over med-high heat.  Make sure the pan is good and hot, then swirl the oil around in the pan.  It should run like water.  Place tofu in pan and cook over med-high heat to brown.  Turn after about 5 minutes to brown another side.  If the pan dries out, pour just a little more oil into the pan.  Keep turning tofu until it's brown on all sides.  (About 5 minutes per side).  Use tongs to stand tofu up to brown ends as well (see pic above).

Creamy Portobello Rosemary Sauce
8 oz baby portobello mushrooms
2 rosemary sprigs
1 Tbsp high heat cooking oil or vegan butter
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 shallot, chopped fine
2 1/2 Tbsp unbleached flour or tapioca flour (others may work as well, but Im not a flour pro yet!)
1 cup 'chicken' broth
1 cup non-dairy milk or creamer

Pulse mushrooms in a food processor a few times until they are chopped as resemble the image above.  Set aside.

Run your fingers down the sides of the rosemary sprigs to remove the leaves.  Coarsely chop.  Set aside.

In a skillet, heat oil or butter over medium heat until the oil/butter is thin and easily moves across the pan when tilted.  Throw in your garlic, shallots and the chopped mushrooms.  Cook over medium heat for about 5 minutes until mushrooms have softened and all is fragrant.  Be careful not to burn the garlic.  Whisk in flour and rosemary.  Heat for about one minute longer, whisking constantly.  Pour in broth, still whisking constantly.  When it has thickened, slowly pour in the non-dairy milk.  Continue whisking constantly until sauce has thickened.  Remove from heat and serve.

Depending on stove temps, broths and 'milks' used, you may need to add more flour.  If so, just sprinkle a very small amount at a time (1/2 tsp) and whisk.  If sauce is too thick, add slowly and in small amounts (1 Tbsp), more 'milk'.























0 comments:

Post a Comment