Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Bitchin' Salad!

I'm not even gonna lie...I make a bitchin salad.  They are so good, I often get near done, still have a wading pool of dressing in my bowl, and refill on lettuce to soak it all up with.  They're freakin good.  Here is one of my fave's that is great served as an appetizer (as opposed to a dinner salad) and is a real crowd pleaser.  It was inspired by Bonefish Grill's house salad, but far healthier than their version.  Amounts of toppings are not set.  Bottle the remaining dressing for future use.  Adjust amounts to your taste and enjoy!

Random hint: Often, I find organic and gourmet oils and vinegars at my local Marshall's (clothing closeout store).  TJ Maxx I believe has a small food section too.  They are often less than health food stores and is my best kept secret for finding great exotic oils and seasonings!

***This salad is LOADED with healthy fats, your Omega's (forget fish oil....try flax oil!), iron, fiber, vitamin C, vitamins and minerals!  And the Agave doesn't raise your glycemic index like sugar does (and its not a known carcinogen like Sucralose (Splenda).

Bitchin Herbed Citrus Vinegarette Salad
Dressing1/2 c Extra Virgin Olive Oil (I use Organic)
1/4 c Flax Oil
1/4 c Agave Nectar
1/4 c White Wine Vinegar
1/4 c Citrus Juices (MIX fresh squeezed lemon, lime and either orange or grapefruit)
2 Tbsp Dijon Mustard
1 Tbsp Water
1 Clove Minced Garlic
1 tsp parsley
1/2 tsp basil
1/2 tsp oregano

Mix all with a whisk or shake it up in a covered container!





SaladGreens (Baby Spring Mix or Romaine lettuce is best)
Cherry Tomatoes, halved
Kalamata pitted black olives, halved or whole
Pepitas (roasted pumpkin seeds...Publix sells them here in the produce section)
Raw Pine Nuts
Hearts of Palm, quartered lengthwise.

Toss greens with dressing and divvy up on plates.  Surround each with a few olives and tomatoes.  Sprinkle with pepitas and pine nuts and place 2-3 hearts of palm strips in the center of each.

Voila!



Pretty, Yummy and Full of nutrients!

*Note: In the picture, I used Sliced Hearts of Palm instead of the Whole ones, sliced because this was all I had left in my pantry.  Same thing, I just think the presentation of the lengthy ones is a little better. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment