Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Happy Belated Mothers Day

Yesterday, all of us mom's got to celebrate the fact that we allowed someone at some time to deposit their seed into our 'bank'.  While most mom's were relaxing on the couch, I got to spend my day cooking!  Which I actually love.  My husband also bought me an early Mother's Day present a couple of weeks ago: Tickets to Cirque Du Soleil's Allegria!   So, I cooked for my parents and family an entire vegan dinner for Mother's Day.  And, let me just say....it was pretty damn amazing!  Now, normally, I like to veganize recipes.  It helps for people to see that vegan cooking can actually be good, to find a well-loved recipe and veganize it.  No, it may not taste the same.  But, it can be close.  And, sometimes it can be better!  However, this time I decided to fly by the seat of my pants and literally invent every recipe from scratch; And let me just say: I amazed myself. 

On the menu:
Arugula Salad Over Citrus Polenta w/ Cashew Creme Sauce
'Sausage' Stuffed Portobellos with Balsamic Glaze
Steamed Organic Broccoli
Creamy Scalloped Potatoes
and last but not least.....
Chocolate Dipped Citrus Poached Pears

The broccoli was just steamed and the scalloped potatoes recipe is not my own.  It was a recipe I found on another vegan food blog a couple of years ago and its pretty awesome!    My other 3 kitchen endeavors Ill post for you, hopefully today.


Arugula Salad Over Citrus Polenta w/ Cashew Creme SauceServes 8-102 c Water
1 c Organic Orange Juice
1 Tbsp Vegan Butter
Zest of 1 Lemon
Zest of 1 Lime
1 c Quick Cooking Polenta
1/4 c Nutritional Yeast
3 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 Tbsp Flax Oil
1 Tbsp Dijon Mustard
2 Tbsp White Wine Vinegar
1 Tbsp White Balsamic Vinegar
Juice of 1/2 Lemon
1 1/2 Tbsp Agave Nectar, plus 1 Tbsp Agave Nectar
1 5oz bag Organic Baby Arugula
1/2 c Raw Cashews, soaked in water for 30 minutes, drained and rinsed with cool water
1/2 c Organic Orange Juice
1/4 c Water
1 Tbsp White Miso
Juice of 1/2 Lemon
1/4 c Raw Pine Nuts
1/2 Pink Grapefruit, sectioned

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Bring water, OJ, butter and zests to a boil.  Stir in polenta and nutritional yeast.  Cover, stirring occasionally for about 10 minutes.  Spread onto a cookie sheet and let sit on counter to cool. 





Mix Oils, Vinegars, Lemon Juice and 1 1/2 Tbsp Agave in bowl with whisk or shake it up in a covered contained to combine.  Toss with arugula and set aside.

When Polenta is cooled, throw it in the oven for about 8 minutes.

In a blender, combine remaining Tbsp of Agave, soaked cashews, oj, water, miso and lemon juice.  Blend until creamy.

To serve, cut polenta into even squares, rectangles or whatever shape your heart desires.  Top with arugula salad, drizzle plate with cashew creme sauce, sprinkle a few pine nuts on each plate and serve with 1-2 sections of pink grapefruit. 

You're Done! - And it will taste as impressive as it looks!

0 comments:

Post a Comment