Monday, June 24, 2013

Coo Coo Ca-Croutons! (Gluten-Free!)

So I'm walking down the isle at Costco and see a ginormous bag of organic croutons.  Ingredients list proved it was dairy-free and I was smitten.  Then the better part of me took control.  I do not eat gluten-free, but I do limit gluten in most cases.  Since I am sucker for croutons (I used to eat them straight out of the bag when I was a kid), I knew if I purchased this big-enough-for-an-elephant bag of croutons, I would inevitably eat every last one of them.  And I would do it quick.  I put the bag back on the shelf and hurried to my local health food store to grab some GF bread to make my own.

Here's the great thing about GF bread.....it is absolutely perfect for making croutons!  It is dry and dense already so there is no need to use 'day old' bread.  You don't have to wait in limbo while your bread grows gray hair and attracts bugs to make your favorite salad encore!

Gluten-Free Seasoned Croutons
1 loaf GF bread
3 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 tsp garlic powder
3 Tbsp herbs de Provence (or a combination of your favorite herbs)

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Cube bread and toss into a large bowl.  Drizzle the oil over the bread and toss with the bread.  Sprinkle garlic powder around and throw in your herbs and toss again.  Spread cubed bread in a single layer on a cookie sheet.  Bake for 15 minutes.  Check after 10 to make sure you don't have rocks.  We don't want to break our teeth on them.  Allow to cool and voila!  GF croutons!


0 comments:

Post a Comment