Monday, June 17, 2013

Dairy Free Sour Cream & Onion Dip

I am totally guilty of eating processed vegan sour cream.  I used to think it was healthier than sour cream, and maybe it is...but it is full of fat and junk.  Probably GMOs too.  This combined with the fact that prices have skyrocketed on my favorite brands of vegan sour cream led me to ditch the habit and start making my own.

I was making some yesterday when I spotted a bag of veggie chips in my pantry.  Cue my craving for chips and onion dip.  So, I did.  =)

Vegan Sour Cream
1 10.5oz block firm silken tofu (non-GMO)
2 tsp lemon juice
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
1 drop liquid stevia extract (or 1 tsp agave nectar)
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp oil (canola, olive or flax)

Process tofu in a food processor, stopping to scrape down the sides, until smooth.  Add the lemon juice, vinegar, stevia and salt.  Process until smooth.  Drizzle the oil in at the end and process again until smooth.  Store in an airtight container for up to 10 days.

Quick Onion Dip
1 recipe Vegan Sour Cream (recipe above)
2 green onions, white and green parts diced
2 Tbsp onion powder
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper

Combine all ingredients in a food processor until smooth.  Eat immidiately or for best results, refrigerate for at least 2 hours.


1 comment:

  1. I just love these recipes! Just think, I can make my own vegan sour cream...easy peasy.

    Thanks a million, and keep these types of yummy solutions coming!

    ReplyDelete