Sunday, June 16, 2013

The Long and Winding Road...my 4 day cleanse journey

June 3, 2013

Dear Diary,

Day 1 of 3 Juice Fast: Had a total of 4 glasses of juice. All in all, 1 pineapple, about 1lb carrots, 1 bunch kale, 1/2 bunch celery, few romaine leaves, 1 1/2 cucumbers, large broccoli stalk, ginger, cilantro and 1/2 lime.

Workout this morning: 45min of Zumba, followed by 20 min of Body Attack followed by 30 min of weight training. 

Got hungry in early afternoon. Drank more juice. Hunger went away. Still wanted food though...because, well....I freaking love food.

Went to another 4:30 Zumba class to get out of kitchen. Drank more juice. Got busy with feeding kids, bath time, bedtime, etc. Drank one more small glass and now for bed.

I feel fine. I want food, but I'm not hungry. Pad thai would be perfection, lol.

Modified fast: I will do a 3 day (M-W) juice fast. Thursday when I reintroduce food, it will only be 100% raw for that day. Friday I will reward my efforts with pad thai. Probably some juice also....but definitely some freaking pad thai.



My little man drinking his fresh juice. He made me share. 
(5 lg carrots, 1" ginger, 1 stalk broccoli, 1/4 pineapple)

-Don't ream my ass folks....he is NOT on a juice fast too....he just likes fresh juice! 



June 4, 2013

Dear Diary,
Juice Fast Day 2:
Woke up. Juiced kale/cucumber/celery/lemon/pineapple. Went to Zumba. 

Juiced more of the same and went to do my 'room mom' gig. It's the second to the last day of school and they had their end of the year party today. While fasting, I served a classroom full of hyper 5 & 6 year olds ice cream, cupcakes, cookies, pretzels and candy. Because I'm an awesome mom, I took the stupid little Plastic ice cream cup home before the party, emptied it, and filled it with Addison's dairy-free ice cream. This way, it looked just like the other kids so she didn't have to be the 'weird kid' in class. All that food handling and I didn't cheat.

I wanted to.

But I didn't.

I still really want pad thai.

After dropping the little sugar filled princess to dance, I juiced another glass and headed to an afternoon Zumba class. I don't normally go at this time but going in the early evening meant my husband could pick her up and feed the kids dinner so I didn't have temptation staring me in the face.

That backfired and my husband is an idiot. Ok....not so much but today, he was an idiot. For the first time he forgot to pick her up. TWO HOURS later he remembers while I'm in Zumba class. I got home first. They got home late. That meant I, again, had to serve food and get it on the table before they got home so kids could get to bed.

Juiced one more glass and now I'm in bed. Warned my husband who sometimes like to eat a late snack in bed that if I see food in our bedroom I will make him choke on it.

Still have not cheated. Worked my ass off today at the gym. Not feeling hungry but craving yummy healthy food.


I could really go for a huge salad right now. I make a mean dinner size salad and that's what I want at the moment. One more day to go and then I will stuff my face with healthy raw food.

June 5, 2013

Dear Diary,
About to start 'cooking' my raw food for Day 4 of my cleanse. And I won't even be able to lick the spoon. This is going to be torture.


Mushrooms marinating for Portobello Jerky & Kale torn and washed for Cheezy Chipotle Kale Chips. Prepping for Day 4!  Check out my Recipe Archive for the recipes!

Day 3:

Today is the last day of my juice fast! Freaking finally! I did it. I didn't cheat. I loved it and hated it at the same time. 

Results so far: lost 5lbs, extremely fatigued, craving food

Stuck it through BUT: I am a firm believer that 'protein' is a 'myth' in that as Americans, we consume far more protein than we need. The meat and dairy industry have us brainwashed and we only need a minuscule amount of the protein recommended. HOWEVER, athletes and those that do work out consistently and rigorously DO require more protein.

I work out rigorously about 10 hours a week. I never get cramps. Until the past few days. I have maintained my workout schedule for both cardio and weight training. For the first time in a long time, I got cramps and was more easily fatigued....though I roughed it out like a champ. I do not know if I would recommend someone who is very active to do a juice fast. Replacing a couple of meals with juice? Sure. But protein is needed for those of us who like to kick our own asses in the gym and I don't care how much kale I juice....my body is not happy.

I am though. While my weight was well within a normal range, I did slip up a few times (for my confessions, check out my blog in a couple of days)....I had managed to gain 7lbs. On my frame, 7lbs is a big freaking deal. We all gain weight differently and I gain weight on my hips. Love handles. Muffin tops. Ick. I lost 5 so far and I still have over 12 hours to go. Pretty confident I will be back at my normal happy weight by the time In done with this damn fast.

I have 1 more workout tomorrow morning and then I am devouring (raw) food with my good friend who traveled this short but grueling journey with me.


Dear Diary,

It's 2:40am. I've been laying awake for an hour. I can feel my heartbeat in my shallow stomach. I feel nauseous. I finally mustered the energy to get up and get a glass of water. Feeling a little better. I am a little shaky. I know these are supposed to be the hardest days of a fast but dammit I don't feel great right now. Looking forward to an early lunch when I can finally eat some delicious raw food.



June 6, 2013


Breakfast in bed!!!


OMG! I woke up 3x last night to being nauseous with cold sweats, shaking & seeing spots. I am NOT the type of person to act like a woos. I am strong and I always tough shit out. I am far too active to starve my body. I am glad I did this but for me, a fast in the future will consist of juice for breakfast and lunch and a light raw dinner. I just finished my first meal. A banana with a little bit of raw almond butter. I am feeling better already. I couldn't even get out of bed to get it because I was so light headed. My husband had to get it for me. Today is 99% raw. On the menu: kale chips, portobello jerky, spring rolls (the rice paper is the only thing not raw) & raw pad thai. VERY glad to be eating again.



CONCLUSIONS


I’m no idiot when it comes to the information out there. I also know to listen to my body. The juice I drank gave me loads of nutrients which took a bee line for my blood stream. I only did 3 days. Three days is fine for anyone interested in giving it a try. I also understand detoxing and I eat a damn healthy diet. Is it perfect? No. On birthdays I make cakes that have sugar. Sure, its organic sugar but its still sugar. I eat processed foods on rare occasions when in dire need to eat and nothing quick on hand. Those processed foods are still 'healthier' versions of their counterparts. I drink wine and liquor occasionally and to counter balance that I take milk thistle extract and juice a ton of greens. I use almost exclusively organic products on my body with a few exceptions. My diet is superior to any average person's. I know I could not have that much toxicity in me to make me feel that way. I feel like ass today. Like a gnarly hangover. I literally do work out a lot. I like to run and do Zumba and I have been increasing muscle strength and tone extensively over the past few months. My body cannot survive on juice alone.
I honestly went into this with the highest hopes and was mentally prepared for headaches, etc.  I roughed it through with a good attitude.  I bitched along the way, because, well…I like food and I like to bitch…BUT I definitely stuck it through positively.

I could feel my body crashing last night and had my husband do dinner for the kids so I could just lie in bed and not think about food.  I was fine.  Even when I awoke in the middle of the night, I stayed positive and told myself I would be fine…it was all in my head because I was just hungry.  But when I got up to walk to the bathroom I had tunnel vision, and the tunnel was full of spots.  I felt like I could barely walk.   
I have pretty good endurance and do cardio on a regular basis.  I never cramp or lose breath.  After the first day, I started getting bad cramps and had to tone down my workouts.

All in all, I will never do this again.  I do not regret it and I’m proud of myself for sticking it through.  I would recommend a 3-5 day juice fast for anyone who does not have a strenuous workout routine.  For those of us that do, however, more protein is needed.  Hence, the reason I immediately ate a banana with some raw nut butter this morning.  I felt a little better after about 10 minutes.  Still not so hot but feeling better by the minute. 
The ‘fast’ I would recommend to anyone who wanted to try it is juice all day until dinner, then have a protein packed raw meal or shake.  Include nuts and seeds into your fast and you’ll have plenty of protein.  Add coconut water to your smoothie for electrolytes.  A good protein smoothie could be kale, banana, nuts of your choice (I like Brazil), hemp seeds, vanilla, flax oil, stevia extract and coconut water.


My good friend took this journey with me.  She is a Zumba instructor and teaches 2-3 classes a day, each an hour long.  We essentially work out the same length of time each day.  We both had similar results.  Lost 6 lbs each. Started feeling fatigued last night.  I felt worse than she did this morning, but we are both exhausted and ready to eat.  She is currently at the store picking up some fresh ingredients for our feast today!  

New Recipe prepared for today:

Curry Kale Chips
1 bunch kale
3/4 c cashews, soaked and rinsed
1/4 c nutritional yeast
1 clove garic
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
1 Tbsp curry powder
1 tsp tamari or liquid aminos
1 tsp raw honey (or agave for vegan) n
1/4 tsp sea salt
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
1/4 c water

Tear the leafy parts of the kale from the stems and save the stems for another use (juicing!).  Toss leafy parts into a large bowl.  Blend all ingredients except for the kale together until smooth.  Massage curry 'paste' into kale chips.  Lay kale out on 2 dehydrator sheets and dehydrate at 104 degrees for about 12 hours or until crispy.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
RESULTS & CONCLUSIONS

I’m no idiot when it comes to the information out there. I also know to listen to my body. The juice I drank gave me loads of nutrients which took a bee line for my blood stream. I only did 3 days. Three days is fine for anyone interested in giving it a try. 

I also understand detoxing and I eat a damn healthy diet. Is it perfect? No. On birthdays I make cakes that have sugar. Sure, its organic sugar but its still sugar. I eat processed foods on rare occasions when in dire need to eat and nothing quick on hand. Those processed foods are still 'healthier' versions of their counterparts. I drink wine and liquor occasionally and to counter balance that I take milk thistle extract and juice a ton of greens. I use almost exclusively organic products on my body with a few exceptions. My diet is superior to any average person's. I know I could not have that much toxicity in me to make me feel that way. I feel like ass today. Like a gnarly hangover. I literally do work out a lot. I like to run and do Zumba and I have been increasing muscle strength and tone extensively over the past few months. My body cannot survive on juice alone.

I honestly went into this with the highest hopes and was mentally prepared for headaches, etc.  I roughed it through with a good attitude.  I bitched along the way, because, well…I like food and I like to bitch…BUT I definitely stuck it through positively.

I could feel my body crashing last night and had my husband do dinner for the kids so I could just lie in bed and not think about food.  I was fine.  Even when I awoke in the middle of the night, I stayed positive and told myself I would be fine…it was all in my head because I was just hungry.  But when I got up to walk to the bathroom I had tunnel vision, and the tunnel was full of spots.  I felt like I could barely walk.   

I have pretty good endurance and do cardio on a regular basis.  I never cramp or lose breath.  After the first day, I started getting bad cramps and had to tone down my workouts.

All in all, I will never do this again while continuing my workout routine.  I do not regret it and I’m proud of myself for sticking it through.  I would recommend a 3-5 day juice fast for anyone who does not have a strenuous workout routine.  For those of us that do, however, more protein and food is needed.  Hence, the reason I immediately ate a banana with some raw nut butter this morning.  I felt a little better after about 10 minutes.  Still not so hot but feeling better by the minute. 

The ‘fast’ I would recommend to anyone who wanted to try it is juice all day until dinner, then have a protein packed raw meal or shake.  Include nuts and seeds into your fast and you’ll have plenty of protein.  Add coconut water to your smoothie for electrolytes.  A good protein smoothie could be kale, banana, nuts of your choice (I like Brazil), hemp seeds, vanilla, flax oil, stevia extract and coconut water.

*Also, I am a firm believer that as Americans, we consume eons more protein than necessary.  I am only preaching protein now for those like me, that work out rigorously.  






0 comments:

Post a Comment