Friday, October 5, 2012

8 Things You Can Do To Combat the Flu Season

Its here!  The kids are back in school.  The weather is changing and you are one Grande Pumpkin Soy Frappuccino away from being murdered by your significant other if they see one more $7 charge for 'coffee' on your next bank statement.  Welcome to fall.  The most beautiful time of the year and the one time of year that it seems everybody and their little fat brother is SICK SICK SICK.  Flu season, enter stage left.



During my workout 2 days ago, I focused on my arms.  I apparently worked out a little too hard that yesterday and today, wiping my own ass is the biggest challenge I've faced in a long time!  If that were it, I could deal.  But, nooooooooo...its also about to be 'That Time'.  So, I'm sore, I have a dirty ass and I'm bitchy.  OK.  Megan-0.  Life-2.  Now, this is all compounded by the fact that I woke up this morning with a throat so swollen it feels like a basketball was shoved down there.  'That Time' + my swollen throat = Megan-2, Ryan-0.  (hehehe...I kill myself!)

Flu season is upon us and although I almost never get sick anymore, I do occasionally catch something like I did this morning.  Lucky for me, I keep my immune system in pretty good shape and when I do get sick, I've been successful at kicking its ass out of with the quickness.  Below are some things you can do to help prevent catching the bug and to speed up your recovery if you do happen upon that little bugger.

1.  Ginger Green Tea
This and the next are my secret weapons.  Few bugs can get far with this.  To make this potent concoction, bring a pot of water to a slow boil with fresh ginger.  You do not have to peel ginger.  Just slice it thin or shave on a microplane into the water.  As much as you can stand.  I have grown to love ginger so I use a lot!  Let this slow boil for a little while to make a ginger tea.  While you are waiting, grab some organic &/or raw honey and pour about a teaspoon into your mug.  You can also throw in about a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar as well.  Throw in your green tea bag.  Turn the heat off the water and when the water is no longer boiling, fill your mug up.  

Green tea can be a bit bitter if water is boiling.  Allow to steep for 3-5 minutes or longer and bottoms up!  Research has shown that the longer the green tea is steeped, the higher the amount of polyphenols, which are responsible for the health benefits of the tea.  DON'T FORGET: You cannot do this once and expect an immediate retreat of the symptoms.  Drink 3-6 cups of this a day.  Make a big pot of ginger tea and reheat throughout the day adding new teabags and honey.  Keep it up and you will see your symptoms start to disappear.

2. Garlic
Garlic is nature's antibiotic.  It is anti-fungal  antiviral and antibacterial.  It is: Uh-mazing.  Take it raw.  Chop up a few cloves into swallow-able sizes and take just as you would a pill.  The use of prescription antibiotics strips away the natural gut flora, which IS your main defense against these things in the first place!  Disease begins in the gut by a weakened immune system.  Keeping your gut flora happy and healthy is your best chance to keeping yourself healthy.  A strong immune system means you can use your 'sick days' at work for fun days at home.  Try garlic instead.  

3. Eat Your Greens!
Get your nutrients from fruits and vegetables.  As much raw as you can.  Raw food contains enzymes which are the building blocks of your immune system.  Eat them.  Lots of them.
4. Rest
Getting adequate sleep helps keep your immune system functioning happily.  If you are sick, get extra rest.  Today, I skipped the gym and my mommy-&-me class to rest.  So get your beauty sleep, gorgeous, you're body needs you!
5. Herbal Supplements
 According to many naturopaths, knowing your blood type can be important in choosing the right supplements for you.  Type O blood types should avoid echinacea since it wont be as effective.  Rather, Type O's should use Siberian Ginseng, Astragalus or White Larch.  (Look for these in your local health food store.)  Type A's should look for Echinacea or an Echinacea/Goldenseal Combo.  Type B's should go for medicinal mushrooms, of which shitake, reishi and maitake are the best.

 6. Wash Your Grubby Mitts!
Just like your mom and teachers always told you.  Scrub-a-dub-dub those germy cesspools you call your hands so the next time you shake hands with Mr. nose picker or chronic masturbator, you wont have those nasty germs lingering on your extremities.  
7.  Magic Mushrooms
OK, so not those magic mushrooms, but just like stated above for Type B's, medicinal mushrooms can have a host of benefits for most.  Stick to shitake, reishi and maitake for the most potent benefits.
 8. Exercise
Its no hidden secret that exercise is good for you.  It keeps you fit.  Helps with blood pressure, sugar control, fat burning, immunity.  You name it, exercise is probably good for it.  Just Do It Nike style and get your lazy butt moving.  


0 comments:

Post a Comment