Thursday, October 4, 2012

Salt & Vinegar Fries

Love on a baking sheet.  If I had to pick 3 things to survive on for the rest of my life, I would choose anything smothered in buffalo sauce, my vegan street tacos and salt & vinegar anything.  Up until I finally put the ix-nay on the potato chip vice I had several months ago, I was still cramming salt & vinegar chips into my piehole every chance I got.  No lie.  My love for those salty, tangy kettle cooked pieces of heaven was so strong that my lips would burn for 2 days after I shamefully stuffed my face with...yes, an entire bag.  Most brands have dairy, so it took me a little while after giving that up to find the kettle cooked ones that were dairy free.  That's when all hell broke loose.  I would pull the vegan card and allow myself to indulge in their sinfully deliciousness since, after all, they were vegan.  That was until I had to quit cold turkey.  I had no self control.  It was bad.  Was there a rehab for junkies like me?  Did I belong in a circle of people sharing their stories in a drab room surrounded by only the sound of my own twitching?  Detoxing from my last 'episode'?Cracked lips from the salt & a tongue so burnt from the vinegar that it was swollen inside of my mouth?  I could only hope I didn't fall off the wagon again into a party size bag of tang and crunchiness.  I needed the potato equivalent of Methadone.

Four months clean now, my craving came back and it was a strong one.  I had no sponsor to call.  No one to hold me accountable.  I ransacked my pantry and low and behold, a giant jug of vinegar beckoned to me next to my small sack of potatoes.  Salt?  Of course I had salt.  Pepper?  You bet.  I had all of the components of my favorite delectable snack at my fingertips.  

Gone are the days of prepackaged junk food!  Gone are the sneers from friends as I hog the entire bag of potato chips.  Welcome new friend.  Welcome Baked Salt & Vinegar Fries.  

Update: My life is back to normal and I have learned to share these tasty niblets with the kids.  The family gave the thumbs up approval and I am well on my way to recovery!  

Salt & Vinegar Fries
Makes enough for sharing...unless you are like me.  

6 medium russet potatoes
6 c white vinegar
1 tbsp salt (more or less to taste)
1 tbsp olive or canola oil
ground black pepper to taste

Bring the vingar to a boil in a large saucepan.  While the vinegar is heating, cut potatoes into wedges or fries. When the vinegar begins to boil, add the potatoes.  Return to a boil, reduce heat to a medium boil and boil for 2 minutes.  Remove pan from heat and allow to sit for 30-45 minutes.

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  Drain potatoes, discard vinegar & put potatoes and remaining ingredients in a large bowl.  Toss gently to coat.  Spread out evenly onto a baking sheet and bake for 45-50 minutes, turning fries halfway through.


0 comments:

Post a Comment