Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Pumpkins!!!

These are the first of many pumpkin recipes I plan on playing with this season.  The first is a yummy vegan latte that I made for myself.  The second is a pumpkin smoothie I made when my 5 year old protested that she didn't get a latte.  For both recipes, I used flaxmilk, but you can use whichever non-dairy milk you prefer. 

Vegan Pumpkin Smoothie - Kid Approved!
Makes one smoothie
This is not a thick smoothie.  If you prefer it thick, add more frozen banana or freeze the pumpkin beforehand.  

1 c vanilla flavored non-dairy milk (or milk + 1/2 tsp vanilla extract)
1/3 c pumpkin puree
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp ginger
1/8 tsp allspice
1 frozen banana

Blend all in high speed blender until smooth.  



Vegan Chai Spiced Pumpkin Latte
makes one large latte or two small
I also Rice Whip to make this soy free.  This is sweet enough for me, but you can add additional sugar if needed and to make it extra pumpkin-y, use Pumpkin Spice coffee!

1 c non-dairy milk 
2 Tbsp pumpkin puree (canned or fresh)
1 Tbsp organic brown sugar
1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
1/4 tsp cardamom
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp nutmeg
1 whole clove
1/2 c strongly brewed coffee (preferably pumpkin flavored)
vegan whipped topping (optional)

Heat non-dairy milk in a small saucepan with pumpkin, sugar and spices.  Bring to a boil while whisking together.  Remove from heat as soon as it boils and discard clove.  Pour into glass(es).  Pour coffee in and top with whip cream if desired.


0 comments:

Post a Comment