Tuesday, April 17, 2012

To post or not to post...

I've been wrestling with the idea of adding seafood recipes on my site. Here's the thing: although I'm an advocate for a vegan diet and I call myself vegan at times because it's the easiest way to explain to people how I eat, I'm technically not even vegetarian. I eat fish. I'm pretty much a dairy-free pescatarian. I severely limit eggs and gluten but I do eat them. So....what to do??

Although I cook 85% of my meals vegan, I'm not vegan and my first and foremost reason for eating this way is for health, not animal welfare. (This is NOT to suggest animal welfare is not a concern of mine...it's just not the ultimate reason why I chose this lifestyle.). I own leather goods. I've been wanting to host a vegan potluck at my house and then freaked out that I would be chastised when my vegan guests saw that the only seating in my home is a giant leather sectional and a leather sleeper sofa in the other room. My handbag has leather straps. I do not wear fur, although a do wear a faux fur lined suede coat.

Although I love my vegan friends and fans and respect their values wholeheartedly, my target audience is the 'Average Joe' or 'Jane'. Vegans already live a more compassionate lifestyle and although there is tons of vegan junk food and being vegan does necessarily coincide with being healthy, generally speaking, they are more aware of what they shove in their faces and in effect, are generally healthier.

In addition, If you've read my blog you know I live in the 'GRaY'. To me, it's not all black and white and I find numerous flaws in both the vegan and typical lacto-obo vegetarian, which you can read about in my next blog on hypocrisy (we're all guilty of it!).

That said, I have decided to include dairy-free pescatarian recipes in my blog. This is mostly as a result of making some ridiculously badass shrimp last night. A far healthier cry from Bonefish Grill's Bang Bang Shrimp. I call it Big Bang Shrimp and it was quite a hit last night! Every Wednesday night at Bonefish (which, by the way if you read this Bonefish, is my Favorite Restaurant! I just can't eat half of the stuff on the menu so I like to recreate it) is Bang Bang Wednesday when my friends like to go and gorge themselves on shrimp for $5. However, after my Bang Bang fans tried my version last night, they said they were coming to my house on Wednesdays instead! My lightly fried shrimp were better than the deep fried mayo covered version!


BIG BANG SHRIMP

1lb Medium Shrimp, peeled and deveined, tail-off
2-3 tbsp cornstarch
4 tbsp high heat cooking oil (I used organic canola)
1/2 C Veganaise
1/4 C Thai Sweet Chili Sauce
1 Clove Garlic, minced fine
1/2 tsp Sriracha Sauce, or to taste

Boil shrimp until pink and cooked through. Strain and run under cool water. Pat dry and toss with cornstarch to coat.

Heat oil over medium high heat in skillet. Add shrimp and lightly pan fry until lightly crispy and beginning to brown. Remove from heat.

Combine remaining ingredients in bowl and toss to coat.  Enjoy!

Sent from my iPho

0 comments:

Post a Comment