Tuesday, April 17, 2012

WHY diets don't work & WHY disease in on our heels


“If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always gotten.”

-Anthony Robbins




That is one of my all time favorite quotes.  So you gained weight.  What now?  I've been there.  I spent my entire life being skinny, 'naturally', until I got pregnant with my daughter almost 6 years ago.  I gained 65 pounds during my pregnancy and afterwards often ate an 8oz bag of Kraft cheese cubes because I was told the calcium was good for breastfeeding.  Needless to say, when you're eating a half pound of curdled cow breastmilk a day, you're bound to get fat.  I was at the gymn running 6 miles a day and for the life of me could not get the last 20lbs off.


Now, Im not proud of this and not many people know but my next step to lose weight was pretty severe.  I wanted weight loss drugs but I wasnt typically considered overwieght as far as general standards go for American women.  I had a friend that was on migraine medication for her terrible headaches and lost a ton of weight.  Interested, I resarched the drug and found out that Anorexia is actually a SIDE EFFECT of the drug!  Sick as it sounds, I wanted it.  Although I was never prone to headaches and had never in my life experienced a migraine, I looked up migraine symptoms to brief myself and went to my doctor and begged for the drug to cure my 'intolerable headaches'.  I was prescribed them.  All I had to do was ask.


Well, they didnt work fast enough so I grew the balls to just flat out ask my doctor for weightloss meds, which, he did, almost no questions asked.  Mind you, I was still not typically considered overweight, but I was 20lbs over my prepregnancy weight.  Adipex kicked my ass.  It was meth in pill form and man was my house clean!  I took them 3-5 days a week for almost a year.  I lost the weight several times but everytime I quit, the weight came back so I started the vicious cycle over again.  This literally lasted until I picked up my first vegetarian health book that explained why I couldnt get skinny again.


My Adipex prescription became my crutch and I was beginning to feel like a heroine addict.  Everything I had ever been taught revolved around counting calories, points and fat grams.  All of a sudden I was seeing clearer and I threw away my bottle of little blue speckled pills to begin transforming my life.

See...if you diet, you temporarily abstain from eating certain things, whether they be calories, fat, etc...but when you lose the weight and go back to the habits you had before, to expect a different result is, in fact, insanity!  If you always do what you have always done...you will always get what you always have gotten.  I.e. FAT! 

OR WORSE - Heart attacks, cancer, etc.  Lets say you develop a giant tumor in your body.  You have it sugically removed.  You go 'back to normal life'.  Well, whatever in the hell you did (YES, YOU!) to cause that tumor to grow, what is to stop it from happening again???  Unless you do a complete overhaul, you will always get the same results.  Its not our faults that we are forcefed false information but now is the time to do something about it. 

CHANGE. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment